Friday, April 16, 2010

Perspectives on Motherhood

Tonight is an amazing night in my house. Tonight, there is absolute quiet in my house. Tonight, there are no children in my house.

How we lucked into this night, I have no idea. Nor do I have any complaints. My girls do the occasional sleepover at the grandparents' or aunts' houses and tonight is one of those nights. My mother actually offered to take my oldest overnight, but we had already planned for the girls to go to my sister-in-laws, so I jokingly offered my 2-month old son in the oldest's place and my mom actually took me up on the offer, so I have a child-free house.

When I told my husband of the plans for the evening, I was very excited, telling him this would be the first time in over a year we would have a kid-free house for a night. He looked at me questioningly, because the girls have been on lots of sleepovers. The baby, however, has not.

In my world, the baby has been around for more than 2 months. In my husband's world, the baby's been around for exactly as many days as he's been alive. I attempted to explain to my husband that although the baby's been on the outside for 2 months, he was with me for 40 weeks prior to that, so even on the nights the girls happened to be gone, I still had a child with me. He just looked at me blankly. Rather than try to expound upon my reasoning, I just told him that any mother would agree with me. He gave me a "whatever" sigh and went back to watching TV.

Well, I had 3 other mothers in my house this evening and as I relayed the story to them, they all asserted that I was 100% correct.

Vindication, thy name is mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, hints, questions, suggestions for future blogs...