Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'd Tap That

Forgive my sassy title, but the following story should help clarify:

A couple weekends ago, I went shopping. Big deal, right? People go shopping all the time. Well, the shopping trip was important for 2 reasons:

1. I hate to shop.
2. I needed to buy pants.

Now, my fellow females will best understand what I mean when I say I needed to shop for pants. And my fellow females who've given birth, ever, will understand the process even better. Pants shopping can be a painful, time consuming project. No pair ever fits the same and you have to try on everything. For the non-shopping type like myself, it's akin to a trip to the dentist. Since having the girls, I've not really gotten back into my pre-pregnancy clothes the way I would like to and have chosen to wear ill-fitting pants that are technically too big rather than endure the tribulations of pants shopping.

I had a gift card to Macy's and the department store happened to be having a sale that weekend, so I took a deep breath and steeled myself for a trying evening. I walked into the store and grabbed the first pair of jeans I saw. Ralph Lauren. Around $70. Now, I normally would not pay that much for a pair of jeans, but I was determined to have some pants that fit well, so I was somewhat willing to bite the bullet.

Joy of joys the freakin' jeans fit! Not only did they fit, but I was officially back into the single digit sizes. And let me just tell you, my ass looked great in these pants. I'm not an overly conceited person, but I was impressed by what I saw in the mirror, and honestly, how often does that happen?

So, I held on tight to those pants and buoyed by the fact the shopping wasn't painful yet, continued to shop. I came across Levi's that were on sale for cheaper than the RLs, so I gave them a shot. They fit! I came across another brand, Bandolinoblu, and they fit! Not only did they fit, they fit better than the RLs. I'm talking not too tight in the thighs, able to breathe sitting down, sticking the ole muffin top where it's supposed to go, good colors fit! And I'd only been in the store for about 35 minutes! I bought 5 pair and left as fast as I could.

Now, I'm not overly concerned about the size of my pants or the fact I have stretch marks on my stomach or that my stomach isn't so flat. But to walk into that store, dreading trying on pants and having to spend too much money, it was such a pleasant surprise to fit into pants that actually made me feel good. I walked out of that store with a spring in my step, a gleam in my eye and for the first time in a long time, I felt really good about myself. I worked hard with my running this summer and now I have my pants to show for it. My body is nowhere near perfection, or a size 00 (or whatever it is all those supermodels wear), but I am at a point where I'm much more pleased with it. And that is a fine place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, hints, questions, suggestions for future blogs...