Monday, July 20, 2009

Towing the Line

So, we're in the midst of potty training. I can't even say we're in the middle of potty training because honestly, the end is nowhere in sight as far as I can tell. And I'm pretty sure the whole process is going to break me as nothing has broken me before.

The eldest just turned 3. I tried to potty train several months ago and it just didn't take. I've heard countless other parents say the kid will just tell you when s/he's ready to train, so I thought I'd give it a go. Well, I simply don't have the patience to wait for my uber stubborn child to tell me she's ready to potty train, so once school was out for the year, I decided to give it another go. And we're still in the process.

I've tried positive reinforcement. I've tried negative reinforcement. I've put her on the potty every hour. I've told her it's her "job" to tell me when she has to go potty. I've tried charts and bribery and secret treats and...and...and. Just this evening we were supposed to go over to a friend's house to play. Well, Little Miss decided to go potty in her pull up, as she was sitting next to me, so I decided to tow the line and be a hard ass. No play date. That's it.

Yeah, guess who's regretting towing the line right now?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh... I feel for you! And, I think it's one of those things that only the mom can do so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Goia's been good for a few months now but I still keep my fingers crossed some days. Believe it or not, it was Tinkerbell underwear that did the trick for her! She's a big fan and the day she picked them out at the store was when we turned the corner. Had I know that I would have brought them months earlier. But, maybe this time around you could get both girls trained and be all out of diapers by the time baby #3 comes along :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your comments, hints, questions, suggestions for future blogs...